MEPS performs the same function as SPE, namely the purification or speciation of samples, but with some significant differences:
- MEPS works with much smaller samples (as small as 10µL) than full scale SPE
- MEPS can be easily semi-automated using the custom programming functions of the eVol® XR hand-held automated analytical syringe
- MEPS can be fully automated – the sample processing, extraction and injection steps are performed on-line using the same syringe. For an examlple of this, please refer to "An automated method for the analysis of phenolic acids in plasma based on ion-pairing micro-extraction coupled on-line to gas chromatography/mass spectrometry with in-liner derivatisation", Peters, S., Kaal, E., Horsting, I., Janssen, H-G,. Journal of Chromatography A, 2012, 1226: 71-76.
- MEPS is applicable to GC and LC
- Significantly reduces the volume of solvents and sample needed
Please click here to review abstracts of recent publications featuring the use of MEPS.
Peter Dawes, former chairman of SGE Analytical Science, speaks to "The Column" about the benefits & applications of this novel approach. Read more...
To view an animated presentation on MEPS click here.
Sample Size and Sensitivity:
Sample volumes as small as 10µL can be used or larger samples, 1mL or more, may be concentrated by taking multiple aliquots of 100µL or 250µL.
Typical BIN life is conservatively about 40-100 samples but actual life is dependant on the sample matrix. The small quantity of phase in the MEPS BIN can be easily and effectively washed between samples which removes the possibility of carry-over. This process simply is not practical on conventional SPE devices.
Flexible and easy to use:
MEPS BINs are available in a variety of common SPE phases. The dimensions of the sorbent bed ensure that the sorbent performance remains identical to conventional SPE devices used for extraction of similar samples
Sample preparation for complex biological samples is readily adapted to MEPS and reduces the volume of sample and reagents required for extraction when compared with conventional SPE and other "micro extraction procedures".
The MEPS approach to sample preparation is suitable for reversed phases, normal phases, mixed mode and ion exchange chemistries. Because MEPS BINs can be used for sample volumes as small as 10µL it makes them particularly well suited to on-line use with LC-MS analysis of volume limited samples.
Using MEPS® with eVol®
The eVol® custom programming function enables MEPS™ (micro SPE) to be semi-automated and proofed before transition to fully automated platforms. Ask SGE for more information on how eVol® MEPS® can improve your method development. Click here for MEPS BINs for use with XCHANGE® / eVol® syringes.
How to choose your product:
1. Choose your MEPS syringe
The current range of syringes may be used manually or in Agilent, CTC Analytics, HTA 300APlus and Varian 8400 auto-injectors.
2. Choose your SPE BIN's
BINs are available in needle styles to suit LC and GC applications. Needles are packed in a sealed blister pack of 5 needles to ensure their integrity. Click here for MEPS BINs for use with XCHANGE® / eVol® syringes.